Alongside bed bugs, cockroaches very difficult to eradicate. If you suspect you have cockroaches in your home, don't decide to do something about this later.
Your problem will explode to an infestation before you know it. Know the signs of these pesky bugs so you won't have to live through a nightmare.
Cockroaches differ from bed bugs so the signs are quite different.
Cockroach Specks (These dark-colored specks are fecal pellets and regurgitated food, and look like grains of ground pepper)
Upset Stomach (Diarrhea can occur when cockroaches travel on the food you leave out, dishes in cupboards and countertops that they track salmonella to)
Shell Casings (These are egg cases from recently hatched cockroaches, and appear as small dark brown oval-shaped casings)
Strong Oily Odor (extremely pungent when large numbers of the insects are present.
Aside from all the hygiene issues associated with a cockroach infestation, the smell itself is unpleasant and can permeate food that is left exposed to the air)
Visually seeing cockroaches (may mean you have a bigger infestation as these bugs are nocturnal)
You will want to be careful in how you approach this problem as a professional is more equipped to properly take care of a cockroach infestation.
If you choose to wait to take care of this problem you will end up having a giant infestation and it will end up costing you more time and money to get rid of these pesky pests.
Contact a PCO Company because you are not likely going to get rid of your cockroach infestation yourself but there are ways to help with the eradication that you can do yourself.
1. Inspect the entire kitchen area, under sinks, refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, microwave oven, other cooking appliances, bathroom cabinets, draws, basement and sub-floor crawlspace for high activity and nest areas.
You will be able to see live cockroaches, dead cockroaches, feces and eggs.
2. Place "sticky" glue traps in the above mentioned areas. At night sneak into the kitchen, turn on the lights and observe any cockroach activity. Look where they scurry to.
Place your sticky traps near these areas to collect and identify the species and the source of infestation.
3. Keep all food in sealed containers. Particularly at night, do not leave food scraps exposed in the kitchen or waste storage areas. Thoroughly clean the kitchen, pay attention to counters and appliances.
Regularly vacuum high activity areas, carpets, drapes, furniture, kitchen and bathroom cupboards in order to remove cockroach eggs and food deposits.
4. Cockroaches need water and will thrive in damp sub-floor crawl space areas. For example: near leaking taps.
Regularly check and fix any plumbing problems, broken roof tiles, anything that may allow or cause moisture ingress to potential cockroach harborage areas.
Wipe the kitchen sink of moisture before going to bed or going out at night. Turn off leaking taps.
5. Seal all cracks and crevices in bathroom, pantry and kitchen cupboards. Store all cardboard boxes and the like above ground level. Cockroaches do not like drafty exposed areas, nor bright lights.
6. There are several cockroach pest species that infest domestic and commercial premises. The identification of each species is necessary to best determine how to exterminate them.
Check out the Cockroach Identification Chart for identifying cockroaches.
- Do they check entry points outside and inside where the roaches may be coming in from outside and how they are getting into your unit/house.
- Do they find where the cockroaches are primarily staying and breeding.
- What chemicals and sticky traps do they use.
- Are there any guarantees or any timeframes that they assume that the roaches will be gone after the treat.
- What are your instructions to follow.
What not to do:
Don't forget that this is a problem for professionals.
Don't wait to do something because it will just get worse.
Don't stress about it, it only makes the problem worse.
Don't think only dirty people have roaches as anyone has a chance of getting them.
Do not line your cupboards or anything else with boric acid. This will make you very sick and potentially be fatal. A reputable Pest Control
Company knows the right stuff to help you get rid of them.